Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Sarah Ann

Here is a Lafitte Skiff design boat that caught my eye while I was in Lake Arthur, LA.  My husband and I often take day trips for me to take reference photos to paint from.  I was looking for shrimp boats and found this little boat.  I'll be painting more boat finds from these photos...

I did a little research on this boat and thought I would share this info I found:
"The Lafitte skiff, developed in the 1930s by Emile Dufrene of Lafitte, LA, changed the shrimping and crabbing industry of south Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas. Originally built out of cypress, the semi-V design of the bow tapers to a flat stern. This provides stability and versatility, allowing the skiff to navigate the shallow waters of the coast to trawl for shrimp and crabs and to rush the perishable seafood to market."



"The Sarah Ann"
5 x 7 - oils on gallery wrapped canvas

Artist Note:
I picked up a couple of these little canvases at Michael's one day.  It's their Artists' Loft professional quality and it's really rough.  I toned my canvas but as I painted on it, I wished I had put my usual couple of coats of gesso beforehand.
I can pretty much paint on any surface but I really like the feel of linen.  I'm not a canvas expert but I like the Centurion brand oil primed linen from Jerry's Artarama.  I recently decided to try "The Edge" by Creative Mark a pre-stretched cotton gallery wrapped canvas and I really liked the smooth feel of this canvas also.

Until next time...
Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment