Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Painting Shrimpboats on Tuesday

Today is my plein air painting adventure day with my Lucy and  painting buddy Denise Broussard. You guessed it, we painted shrimp boats again.  Olive Lou stayed home with her daddy today so Lucy didn't have a friend to play with while we painted but she was such a little angel.

We got out on location early, checked out the marina to try and finish out paintings from last week but the boat I was painting was out fishing and other boats were in the way for Denise to continue her painting.  Guess that one is for another trip later.

We decided to leave there and went back to our spot with the larger boats. As I began setting up a few things went wrong.  I have this 6' umbrella and a plein air umbrella that I usually bring. Rushing to get out of the house, I forgot my umbrella stand at home.  When I opened the big red umbrella, the thumb stopper that keeps the umbrella open was broken. So, I improvised.   I shoved an old toothbrush I had in my paint stuff into the umbrella and laid it on its side for shade for Lucy and I used the other one.

Oh, and did I mention, my turp container accidentally opened and all my turp leaked out who knows where.  I borrowed from Denise, thank God for painting buddies.  And it was very, very, very windy. 

Because of our time schedule and all my time lost trying to figure out the umbrella fiasco, I decided not to paint a huge painting.  I painted 8 x 8 of three of the boats docked at the end of the canal. Because of all the time I lost, I had to move fast.

I skipped over the sketching, measuring, composition, etc. planning that I usually think through before I begin.  I just put my earphones on, listened to music, enjoyed the day and let everything just flow naturally.



I don't have a picture of this, but there were about 8 boats docked in this small canal.  While we were painting a couple of other boats exchanged places while we were there.  It is so unbelievable  how these captains can just maneuver these huge boats in and out of this small canal like they are parking a little tiny boat.  Amazing!













LUCY ANNA ESCAPADES:

Lucy helping 
"I got this"




1 comment:

  1. You are so creative and have an impressive range of talent! Your folks would be sooooo proud. We are! And love you, too!

    ReplyDelete