Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lake Martin Fun!

Yesterday was such a beautiful day, so my husband and I decided to take the boat out and enjoy the weather.  My husband likes to fish and I like to paint, but these two things do not usually work together so one of us usually needs to forfeit. We came up with a solution where we both win.  We headed out to Lake Martin which is about a 30 minute drive for us.  My husband launched the boat and unhitched the trailer.  This gave me the freedom to use the truck to drive around the lake, take pictures then setup and paint at a spot I decided upon while he fished in the lake.  Our solution worked out really great!

Lake Martin (Cypress Island) is about 9500 acres of lake and swamp and is also a bird sanctuary.  It is Egret nesting time of the year here and you can see hundreds up in the trees from the road.  Its spectacular!  Photographers love this site and it is very common to see them lined up taking pictures.

I setup my easel in a quaint little spot and painted these two little paintings.  Little did I know there was a small alligator sleeping near the water bank about 20 feet behind me.  I don't know how long I would have stayed there had I known.

 "Hidden Cove"
(6 x 6 - oils on canvas panel)

 "Hole In One"
(6 x 6 - oils on canvas panel)

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful Maria. I am glad you got a chance to spend the day outside painting. You certainly captured the allure and mystic of the swamp.

    ReplyDelete