Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Style

I've often been asked as an artist "What is your style?" This is a loaded question for me.

Merriam Webster defines style as "a distinctive manner of expression" or "a particular manner or technique by which something is done, created or performed"

Wikipedia quotes Eric Fernie in "Art History and its Methods", regarding visual arts style as a "...distinctive manner which permits the grouping of works into related categories."

Wikipedia also says that "By changing the way they paint, apply color, texture, perspective, or the way they see shapes and ideas, the artist establishes a certain set of "rules". If other artists see the rules as valid for themselves they might also apply these characteristics. The works of art then take on that specific "style"."

In quoting all of that, I feel like an artist's "style" is their thumb print, handwriting, feeling and/or collection of what that person has experienced in life. We are all different and have all gathered different experiences that make up who we are and thus influence how we paint. Every time I watch another artist paint, take a workshop, etc. I gather something that I may or may not use one day in my painting technique.

Do I have a style? Yes I do, but I would like to think of it as "Maria's Style".

Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment